Monday, August 3, 2009

Sleepless Nights

Like most pregnant women, the farther along I get in pregnancy the harder it is for me to sleep at night. I can be exhausted at the end of the day but as soon as I kiss Jon and turn out the light I start a battle with my body that I cannot possibly win. This is what I go through most nights: First I struggle to find a comfortable position. I have found it increasingly hard to breathe when I lie down. It feels like a weight has been put on my chest and I get a tingly feeling in my head and arms. I try different positions, left side, right side, even my back (which I'm not supposed to do) and I prop my self up with pillows into a sitting position. But nothing seems to help. It doesn't seem to be bothering Jareth though because at this time he is doing his nightly workout. After about an hour or two of huffing and puffing I find a position somewhat suitable and close my eyes. As soon as I let my body relax my legs start to ache. My calf muscles tighten up and my legs start to jump. Much like restless legs syndrom, my legs make me feel that I need to get up and walk around. Although I stretch my legs before bed I have to get up from my finally comfortable spot and stretch them again. And since I'm up I take a bathroom break. By now I'm about three hours in. After stretching I lie back down, find a comfortable position, and start off to dream land. I sleep for a couple of hours and it hits me hard and fast. If I don't get up immediately I am going to pee all over the bed. All that preventative water drinking I do to keep my legs from cramping sneaks up on me at night. I use the bathroom about every hour and a half to two hours. I can't help but wonder if my body is preparing me for the multiple times I am going to have to get up at night once the baby is here.
You may ask "What is Jon doing during all this activity?" He is sleeping like a baby. He is clueless about what is going on until he gets up in the morning and notices that things aren't in the same place as they were before he went to bed. He is highly sympathetic and has gotten up several times to support me, but if it weren't for my shaking him awake he would sleep right through it. I have always been jealous of his ability to sleep so soundly. Even before the pregnancy I had a hard time falling asleep at night. But with Jon, as soon as the lights are out he is in dreamland. I have literally taken a sip of water, turned off the lamp, and rolled over to talk to him only to find him completely out. He must be a man with a pretty clear conscience because when he lays down his blonde head and closes his blue eyes his brain shuts down and keeps anything from entering it. I find it annoying and adorable at the same time. Although lately, it's more annoying than adorable.

No comments: